- This event has passed.
Beginner Backpack Trip – Belle Isle State Park
September 18 @ 2:00 pm - September 19 @ 10:00 am$124.95
Are you new to backpacking? This is a great first trip to test your skills if you haven’t been backpacking before! Join Virginia Backpacking’s guides for an overnight backpack trip to Belle Isle State Park, a hidden gem within the Virginia State Park system!
Brian has been backpacking for decades and has years of experience as a formal educator to help ease you into learning how to backpack. He’s also a former Wilderness First Aid instructor.
Carmen has been backpacking a few years now but her knowledge of what it was like as a beginner is still fresh in her mind. She can share those experiences with you to help build your confidence. Carmen también habla español.
We’ll be hiking around 3 miles over two days on flat, wide fire roads to established campsites along the Rappahannock River.
DAY 1 – Meet at Belle Isle Equestrian Trailer Parking Area, arrive by 2:00 pm. Hike 1.5 miles to campsites. Set up camp and enjoy the evening!
We’ll also be leading a class to discuss the following topics:
- Choosing a backpacking route.
- The “Ten Essentials”
- Choosing your gear
- Sleeping gear
- Trekking poles
- Tent vs hammock
- Water treatment
- Additional considerations
- Going to the bathroom
- Backpacking on a budget
- What to do when you get back home
DAY 2- Break camp. Hike 1.5 miles back to the Parking Area.
• Group Size – 8 people
• The campground has a portable toilet. No electricity or showers.
• Hiking Distance: 3 miles
• Trail Terrain: gravel, dirt
• Difficulty: Easier (Level 1 out of 4 difficulty level)
What to Bring:
Required (If you don’t have something on this list let us know. We’re in the process of purchasing equipment that can be rented.)
- 2 Liters of water – recommend Nalgene bottles
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes
- Hiking socks
- Prescription medications
- Toiletries (there is a portable toilet at the campsites)
- Sun protection
- Weather appropriate clothing (rain jacket, warm or cooler clothing depending on temperatures)
- Personal Headlamp/Flashlight
- Trail snacks
- Backpacking backpack
- 1 or 2 person lightweight tent
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- Change of clothes
- Pillow – Bring a camp pillow (or stuff sack that you can fill with clothing)
- Wide brim hat
- Trekking poles
What Virginia Backpacking brings:
- Backpacking Stove
- Dinner – Your choice of a freeze dried backpacker meal
- Group First Aid Kit
• Cancellation: If weather becomes an issue, call or check your email for updates before leaving.
If you cancel or leave a trip for any reason:
- 60+ days before start of trip: Full refund of trip cost minus $25 per person.
- 59 to 30 days before start of trip: 50% refund of the trip cost.
- Less than 30 days prior to trip start: There will be no refund or trip credit.